Monday, August 06, 2007

Dumb dog

It's all about Annie. That's why Carolyn suddenly needs to hug and pet Fife all day long. And I could tell her a billion times not to step on Fife's paws, but it took Annie's love for her big shaggy dog Sandy to teach Carolyn that stepping on paws is just wrong. And now she's trying to teach Penelope.

Annie is a wonderful movie. I don't think I ever saw it as a kid, and the only reason we own it is because my father-in-law bought it for Carolyn, presumably to irritate Steve, who has horrible memories of his sister's constant loop of the catchy musical on the VCR.

But I just love it. I love Carol Burnett as the evil Mrs. Hannigan. I love the sappy music. I love the orphans. I love that I always get weepy when they sing this:

True he ain't pedigreed, Sandy, there ain't no better breed.
And he really comes in handy,
'Specially when you're all alone in the night
and you're small and terribly frightened it's
Sandy, Sandy who'll always be there!


But most of all, I love that Carolyn loves Fife enough to bury him beneath a pile of her dolls.



It's high praise indeed, as you can see. It's also one of Carolyn's favorite pastimes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am just so pleased that Carolyn loves Annie. And by the sounds of it so do you, Christine. It was the best movie for me growing up. And now how can Steve not love it when his own daughter has fallen in love with it. I hope that when I come to visit we can all sit around the tv and sing and watch it together-even my big brother, Steve! ;)