Monday, July 14, 2008

Rainbow girls

There are some activities for the girls that, while I'm not opposed to trying, I am trying really hard to put off as long as possible. It's because once they try it, and love it, it makes it harder to say no. If they didn't know something, say American Girl, was the best thing since pesto pizza, they don't ever ask for it or want it. This is exactly why I wrote to American Girl and asked to be removed from their catalog mailing list.

Just because it's inevitable doesn't mean it can't be postponed.

I felt this way about festival face painting. Whenever you go to one of those festivals, the line of the face painting lady is ridiculous. And at $7 a pop, not exactly cheap. But Carolyn must have heard someone talk about face painting at school or the playground or something, because all of a sudden, she's got her heart set on it.

And if Carolyn has it, dollars to donuts Penny has to have it too.

So our pre-face painting lives are a thing of the past. But even though it's totally a scam and annoying and wasteful, don't the girls look cute!




Carolyn's a butterfly!
Penny's a tiger. A rainbow tiger!

2 comments:

Julia M. said...

I swear I last read your blog like a week... or maybe two weeks ago. Now I realize how truly fast time flies. After reading through past entries, I feel like I've spent the summer with you in fast forward. The face painting looks super fun, I understand the fascination (and it's totally worth $7, as long as it doesn't get to be a habit!) Also, I definitely think the lifeguards were overreacting, but it is nice to know that Carolyn is safe at the pool! And lastly (for now) - fascinating stuff that left-handedness is (sorry for the syntax - read it as if I'm speaking and it will make more sense). Both re: Penny & the scientific research.

The Jacobs said...

WOW, that's some fancy face painting. At first I was like, whoa, $7, but then I saw how it was totally worthy. My first thought was, geez, that's expensive for a little balloon, heart of shamrock on the cheek like we used to get. Face painting has come a long way.