Sunday, August 08, 2010

First memories


One of my first memories is pulling the chair out from underneath my mother while she was hanging out with her friends. It was a last second decision that I instantly regretted and I began to cry almost before her butt hit the floor.

For Steve, it was a time he took a candy bar from the grocery store aisle and ate it while his busy mother focused on the groceries. He was halfway done with the candy before his crime was discovered, a crime he would pay for in spankings.

I believe Penny had her first memory yesterday. She picked up a rock and threw it right at a lifeguard, hitting her!!!! The girls are always picking up rocks and throwing them, and I'm always telling them to not to pick up rocks and throw them. I honestly believe she didn't mean to hit the lifeguard, but that's what happened.

In true "this is my child" fashion, she started to cry almost immediately after the rock hit the ground. I saw the entire thing, so it was made slightly worse by my very, very angry tone of voice. For almost 15 minutes we had to deal with heavy sobbing as we worked through this problem. And... in the end... it is my strong belief that her rock-throwing days are behind her.

3 comments:

Julia M. said...

I can't think of a memory like this. Or maybe I'm just in denial?

I guess if Penny learned a lesson in the end it was all worth it (that is, assuming the rock didn't do any damage to the lifeguard?! ;)

Christine said...

Figures. I don't think you were born with the naughty gene. What!!! Was your first memory diagramming a sentence or doing advanced math???

Lifeguard made it through A-OK. Nobody lost an eye or anything...

slmcanal said...

I remember Julia carving a design in the arm of the wooden part of that old upholstered platform rocker on Shepard St. I didn't think she had the naughty gene either until I saw what she did there. I'm not sure if she used a knife or a pen or what but she did some damage...