Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Growing like a weed

I went out to weed today because A) it rained last night and the ground was wet, and B) the community garden lady sent out a very friendly reminder that weeding was our responsibility. Something like, "Get out there and weed before you go jaunting around the Midwest this Memorial Day weekend or you'll be sorry."

Anyway, it needed it. As seen here.


But it looks nice when it's done. As seen here.  (Notice the empty plot next to me and its weed patch. I think this is very bad for me.)

I saw a few small victories while I was at eye level with the plants. My first tomatillo flower.


My first sign of broccoli. This crop has pretty much been a failure for me. I think most other broccoli plants are much further along. But I was still happy.



My lettuce looked very pretty.


But an hour of weeding provided me with a very good lesson. Number one, I need one of those little foam knee thingys. Also, there were A LOT of ants in my garden. I don't know if ants are good or bad or neutral in a garden, but I need to find out. Also, they were the biting kind. Ouch.

Also, yes I am wearing shorts. Stop judging me. 

No comments: