Tuesday, November 10, 2009

An end to the Top 5 list

I knew it wouldn't last forever.

In January, I return to what I'll call "the real world." Not that my world isn't "real," but it does have a very flexible nap plan. That's because I'll be returning to school as a full-time student. Actually, a full/full-time student as I will be completing 62 credit hours in 12 months. Yes, you read that right.

I'm pretty sure that's not the "real" world either, but I do think naps will not be included. I'm returning to school to be a nurse, which is really a lifelong dream of mine. It's pretty exciting, but panic-inducing.

That's because it's an accelerated nursing program for people with a bachelor's degree, a CNA license and a crapload of science classes. Even mothers of 4-year-old girls – who have never been in daycare and don't really have any idea of how drastically life will change and will probably cry everyday because it is just not right to get dropped off at some strange lady's house – can be admitted.

So now, I spend my days trying to figure out if I'm immunized to rubella, paying hundreds of dollars for ugly white pants and shoes, researching how to scam money from the government (help in this area would be helpful) and trying to find a strange lady to care for my poor, sweet, adorable 4-year-old.

Did I mention that I'm a horrible parent? Oh, well, Penny will be ready to fill you in for the next 18 years or so.

3 comments:

Julia M. said...

What are you trying to say, that I've made an entire career out of scamming money from the government? Yeah, I guess you *could* frame it that way...

Don't know much about nursing school fellowships, though. Wait! I just thought of something. Check out the AAUW site (American Association of University Women). They have fellowships. Check here:

http://aauw.org/education/fga/fellows_directory/index.cfm

Sharanya said...

Golly, that sounds...hectic. And exciting. Good luck!

Christine said...

I would like to note on record that I do not believe Julia scams the government. I just recognize her talents as a grant writer and wanted to acknowledge her talents as a full-time student.

Is that better? Somehow it doesn't sound better.