Sunday, June 20, 2010

I'm back... sorta...

Summer has made it abundantly clear that life is very quickly passing me by. I don't record my always insightful thoughts anymore. I don't take pictures of my girls. I didn't even go outside today. All day....

But there is so much going on right now that it would be sinful not to try and get some of that down. And because I believe in the very depths of my heart that the worst of school is now behind me (just three finals before I'm half a nurse!!!!) I feel I can devote some time to recording this insanely crazy year.

For instance, I watched someone escape from a state-run mental institution last week. Scaled the fence and all. I have finished my first rotation in a hospital and I got to see a surgery. It was super cool. School was very, very difficult this last session. It was either test after test after test, or 16 hours of homework every weekend. Sometimes both. I still run, but not a lot. I ran a very slow 4 miles this weekend and thought I was doing pretty good.

And then there's the family. Where to begin? Well, Penny got in Metcalf, which is this super cool public school (experimental school, actually) run by Illinois State University. We're going on a family reunion in a few weeks. Texas! In July! Yes, this really is the plan... Carolyn is reading!

Here's just a sampling of the rest.

• We put a swing in the backyard.


• We turned on the sprinkler and put up the hammock.

• Carolyn is signed up for T-ball. She had her first game Friday. She's not really very good, but she's very fast. Penny is playing Wee Ball. She is both good and fast. I love the no-nonsense look she gets on her face when she practices.

• We go to the pool.... A LOT...


And there you have it. All caught up.

3 comments:

Eric and Julie said...

Yeah! How do you fit baseball practice into your already busy schedule? And is Penny getting ready to jump into the pool? Isaac has yet to try and go underwater.

Julia M. said...

YAYAYYAYAYY!! I knew you couldn't stay away for long!! Thanks for all the pictures! It looks like you guys are having a fun summer (at least it looks like Penny & Carolyn are having fun;)

What happened to the person who escaped the mental institution? Did they catch him/her?

Christine said...

Julie: Yes, she is jumping in. She and Carolyn are taking swim lessons. I know... on top of everything else. But Steve does that in the morning before work. She's even going down the big slide by herself this year. Julia: No. They never did catch him. Turns out, a 300-pound security guard in a minivan is no match for an 18-year-old schizophrenic who demonstrated back-flips on the unit before he escaped.