Sunday, April 07, 2013

Circus

Carol just finished her first circus. For those of you who think I'm talking about a slumber party or some other parent-maddening adolescent activity, let me assure you I truly mean circus. With clowns and juggling and popcorn and everything.

Illinois State University is home to the oldest collegiate circus in the country. The Gamma Phi Circus. It's a local gem. And because Metcalf is a lab school of ISU, they have the Junior Gamma Phi Circus for students in 3rd through 8th grade. It's sort of a big deal. Carol did unicycle, cylinders and diablo. She was fantastic.

But that's not why I'm talking about it. There was hardly a moment during the 2 hour performance that I wasn't on the verge of sobbing. To see all these kids, who have been practicing for months, perform as one group was very emotional for me. Whether they were awesome or horrible, whether they pulled it off or failed, they went out there together and smiled. And there wasn't one star of the show. It was the group and they were there to make the crowd happy. A
nd they did.

And when the blind kid did the tight wire, I about lost it.

Unfortunately, my picture taking abilities were clouded by emotions. So basically, my photos suck. I'll try better next year.





No comments: