Monday, September 21, 2009

Another bummer

I haven't blogged lately because my grandpa died recently, and it's a total bummer.

He was 94 years old, probably knows where Hoffa was buried, once became a train hobo to D.C. to watch a president get inaugurated, was bald for as long as I've known him, always sent a card and check punctually for your birthday, didn't care much for Democrats (but loved the discussion), always seemed to keep it together even when times got tough – which they did a lot for him, including the death of two of his four children – and was an all-around interesting, great guy.

He also used to tell me "I was born 10,000 years ago, and there's nothing in this world that I don't know." I heard that often enough while I was a kid that I sort of believed it.

Here's a picture of him and Penny when she was a baby. Who knows, maybe he was telling her the same thing. Who knows... Maybe it was true.

2 comments:

Julia M. said...

Thanks for the blog entry, Chris. It helps me remember all those things about grandpa too. And it's a nice pic of him with Penny that I've never seen (I don't think).

The Jacobs said...

Sorry for your loss, Chris. You can tell he meant a lot to you by the way you described him.