Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Just another lazy Tuesday morning

I have tasted freedom and it is yummy.

Fall's in full swing with Carolyn in school and just Penny at home. This is proving to be a lovely way to live. Everybody kept asking me, "Doesn't Penny miss Carolyn? I bet she's really lonely without her."

To this I answer "Hahahahahahaha." Penny is not lonely. Penny is realizing her fantasy to be an only child, at least part of the time.

And also, Penny is busy. We have activities every day. But two days a week, for two hours, I have no children. Let me tell you, this is a thing of beauty. Without kids, I didn't realize the morning hours, when most normal people are at work or busy with something, are magical. You can do what you want. Everything is open so you can shop, or run errands, or get coffee. You can run or take a long shower. You can sit on the couch.

When I was a just-married reporter working evenings, I had no idea what I had. I sort of felt like a loser when everybody else was at work and I basically had nothing to do. Let me tell you, I don't feel like a loser anymore. I feel liberated.

It's not just the freedom that's got me so upbeat these days. My plate is just full enough. I'm going to start volunteering at Carolyn's school and through my church. I have some freelance work. Carolyn has started swimming again. A mom's group asked me to join.

It's enough to make me think staying home doesn't really start showing its rewards until both kids are in school. Maybe I should just ditch nursing school and start being a full-time do-gooder (just kidding Steve : ).

But right now, still home tending to the family, I feel like I've got it pretty good. Oooh... Gotta go. My shows are on.

3 comments:

Christine said...

I would just like to note: my family began falling apart after this post. Bad news from the paper. Fife has a scratched cornea. I had a very long and dreadful visit to the dentist. Carolyn's teacher called after school and left a message for me to call her back in the morning to discuss Carolyn.

Last time I ever express happiness in public. Blah.

Eric and Julie said...

Isn't that always how it goes? Hope things are looking better today. What's the bad news at the paper?

Christine said...

The F-word... Furlough. Just one more reason being a full-time, stay-at-home, volunteering homemaker will not be my future. Why are newspapers conspiring against me?