Monday, July 17, 2006

Carolyn's vernacular

You know who's fun?

Carolyn.

Sure, she says "no" roughly 3.2 million times a day and takes toys away from Penny she hasn't touched in more than a year, but she really is fun.

I definitely am loving her new language skills. Here are a few examples of my recent favorite phrases.

Last night, I got Chinese food, including sweet and sour pork, which was basically deep-fried pork with a bright red, sweet!, dipping sauce. Carolyn, who rarely eats meat, was diggin' it. After a few minutes, she looked at me and said, "That's delicious!"

Tonight, I read a 50-page Winnie the Pooh book to Carolyn for bedtime. She patiently listened, even though I'm not sure how much she understood. At the end of the book she said, "That was a great story!"

Today, she was taking stickers of flowers and putting them on my legs. After doing this for a minute, she looked at the flowers and said, "That's beautiful!"

I think I see a trend of emphatic observations.

And just so nobody thinks I left Penny out, which I never do because she's such a snuggle bunny, our Penelope is just days away from crawling. I'll be kind of glad when she starts because it's so frustrating for her. She wants to move forward and instead moves backward.

We can all probably relate to that, huh? Frustrating, isn't it?

No comments: