Saturday, July 29, 2006

Trapped!

That's right. Excessive heat, at least by today's standards with central air and all, kept us pretty much locked up tight in the house today. I went to farmer's market in the morning, but that was about it.

Penelope had a tiny fever when she got up this morning. I hadn't wanted to say so before, for fear of jinxing myself, but it's the very first time she's been sick. Ever. Eight months and not a sniffle, or a cough, or a low grade fever.

Pretty amazing. Must be my great parenting (see below).

Speaking of great parenting, here's my great-parenting move of the day. Carolyn doesn't really like to eat her crust anymore. Today after she left portions of her ham and cheese lunch behind, I saved them and gave them to Penny for dinner.

Yes, I am that cheap. But hey, who's to say it's not all about the recycling.

This was the first day, maybe since we first moved into this house, that neither girl went out. Yes, I'm almost positive that's right. So we actually had a lot of fun playing with all those poor neglected toys.

And...big and.... being couped up all day really sent home the potty-training message home to Carolyn. Jinx. Anyway, she used the potty all day long, went in the backyard a couple of times with shorts, and never once had an accident.

She even asked for the potty once today (I had left it downstairs, instead of keeping it in the living room like usual. I know. Classy) so I went and got it and she POOPED! In the potty! Awesome. I just hope it sticks — the potty training, not the poop.

Penelope is really crawling. Not like, "I kind of get this," but full-fledged here-to-there-in-no-time crawling. Steve and I were thinking back about Carolyn and believe Penelope is crawling a full month ahead of her sister, not that it means anything. Just observing. And quietly judging.

Carolyn today was ordering her sister to crawl through this tunnel. This is what I hear. "Go here. Penelope. Penelope. Go here. Come on Penelope. Go here."

We got her through, eventually.

No comments: