Friday, August 18, 2006

Mini and Me

This is really hard for me to write.

I, Chris Gardner, rented a minivan.

Yes, I know I complain a lot (OK, a lot, a lot) about the minivan culture and how this particular vehicle has caused our downward slide as a society. And yes, I know I often condemn housewives for being chained to this most evil of transportation modes (excluding, of course, SUVs).

But the family and I, including Fife, are driving to Tulsa and there just wasn't enough room. We'd fly, but it's too expensive (not to mention I am NOT tasting my own breast milk to get on a plane). We'd take Amtrak, but you all know how that ends.

Here's what I learned today about the minivan.

1. I have never been inside a minivan, ever, at least not that I ever remember. They are very spacious.

2. Today's world is designed for this vehicle. I went to the drive-up ATM and to a fast food restaurant for dinner (yes, I'm aware I'm headed to hypocrite hell) and it was a ton easier at both places to complete my transaction. These conveniences are made for minivan owners, as if they don't already have it all.

3. I feel like a complete jackass driving around town. I imagine others looking up at my throne on high, thinking, "That lady is a total jackass." Well, that's what I do when I see minivan drivers.

So off to Tulsa we go and I have to wonder, what would be better for the environment — two really gas-efficient cars or one minivan?

Really, which do you think?

3 comments:

Alotta Errata said...

My husband and I had the "kid car" conversation today. You see, we do not, as of yet, have children. We do however, have a car that is in need of replacing. I'm praying it holds on for another 2 years so that I can finish my masters without having to figure out how to pay for school and a newer car but I digress...

He said he'd like something small and reliable... a civic perhaps. I pointed out that we might not be able to fit a pack 'n' play and a stroller in the back of a civic. I wish they made a 4 door hatchback.

I think the fact that I'm basing the choice of our next vehicle on children we don't yet have bothers him, but we're those people who drive cars until they just won't drive anymore.

Since we just replaced my old car with a new (used) peppy little neon which also can't hold a pack n play or other baby gear, we'd have to replace his car with the "kid-friendly" car. He doesn't want to drive the mom car. He doesn't want to drive my car either. *sigh* at least we have a few years to figure this all out.

and that was the longest comment EVER

slmcanal said...

Funny, I felt the SAME way about mini vans before I got mine. And I got mine because I have a German Shepherd and want to travel with him. I have to say, I love my mini van...except it sucks gas (25 to 28 mpg is the best I can get). But I imagine being homeless someday and I am glad I have the van for a home for me and my dog if I need it.
But really, I used to think HORRIBLE thoughts at people in minivans next to me waiting for a red light. I'd make faces at them too.
You have to admit, though, people with families and dogs who want to travel together, are going to be pretty happy with the mini van. Unfortunately.

Anonymous said...

I would think that one mini-van would be more efficient than two cars. If you had errands to run, you'd be more likely to wait until you had several stops to make. Plus, if Steve had the car and you wanted ice cream, you'd walk to it. But, now that I'm a mom, I'd never want to be without a car. You know, in case I needed to make a run for tequila.

But who am I to talk? We own a convertible (which Eric drives a mile to work, not with the top down), an F250 that sits in the driveway (unless Eric feels like starting another home improvement project, then it goes to Lowe's), and an SUV (which, since I'm on maternity leave, only makes a weekly trip to Meijer).

And for a few brief hours, we also owned a 12 year old car that had 220 thousand miles on it. A 2-driver family with 4 cars! Luckily, some unsuspecting college girl thought the car was "beautiful" and paid cash for it on the spot!