Tuesday, August 08, 2006

While you were not sleeping

Carolyn, who has been sleeping through the night since she was like three months, decided the last couple of days that she no longer cares for her nap. This is one vestige of toddlerhood I refuse to let her abandon.

For one, she sleeps between two and three hours in the afternoon, always through One Life to Live and sometimes all the way through Passions. I can see her cutting back, but giving it up outright. Uh, NO.

And secondly, she loves her nap. Even now, as I hear her clawing at her bedroom door in a half-hearted effort to garner attention from her mind-wandering mommy, it's really nothing new. Just a kid fighting bedtime.

But naps were different for Carolyn. She'd ask to take them. She'd say, "Brush your teeth" as signal for "I'm ready for bed, airhead mom."

The other day, when she refused to nap, I took every single toy out of her room. EVERY SINGLE ONE. I said, "If you don't go to sleep, no juice. No video. No toys. No playground. Is that what you want?"

"OK."

"Won't you ple-e-e-ease take a nap," I pleaded.

"No."

"How about a little sip of tequila? Maybe just a half glass. Here, I'll put a lime in it."

"Mommy's drink. No nap. Watch Frosty?"

Sure. Watch Frosty. Have some juice. Run in traffic. I'll just sip on this tequila drink until you're 4. Surely Penelope will be a much better 2-year-old.

Right?

1 comment:

Alotta Errata said...

I was once baby sitting a particularly contrary child who was exhibiting the classic syptoms of exhaustion. "Sara," I said, "you're tired, it's time for bed."

"no I'm not"

"yes you are, your eyes are closed"

She immediately used her forefinger and thumb to hold her eyelids open.

"no they're not"