Friday, November 10, 2006

It takes commitment

Department store shopping.

To get the very best deal, you have to be loyal. That explains the dozens of women I saw at Kohl's today, loading up on bath towels and Fiestaware. They were all using their 20 percent coupon sent to them for having a Kohl's card.

Now, I'm not much of a shopper. But I've found myself in a difficult position of hosting a Thanksgiving dinner with only four butter knives. So I've been shopping around, looking for the best deal.

What I've discovered is shopping is a lot like getting drunk. You kind of walk around in a daze as 15 minutes turns into three hours and all of a sudden you're sure you need glazed, iron pot because it's on clearance and that lady who walked by a couple of minutes ago had her grubby little eye on it. You'll be sorry in the morning, but tonight, under the florescent lights of TJ Maxx, it seems like the right thing to do.

Turns out drinking is cheaper.

So I'm not about to give it all up for a little love from Kohl's. And when I took my $10 off coupon to the cashier (no spending limit!) and paid $2.88 for two potholders and a basting brush, she knew my kind. She didn't even ask if I wanted to use my Kohl's card.

Just another rogue cheapskate looking for a bargain.

No comments: