Sunday, November 05, 2006

Sophie's Choice

I must have subconsciously heard about William Styron's death earlier this week because I found myself thinking about his book, in movie form, "Sophie's Choice" last night.

I'm pretty sure I saw that movie in the last few years. At least since having Carolyn. It struck me as an awful thing to have happen, but not unbearable.

Not until I had two children.

What would I do if a tree fell on my house and I had time to only rescue one? What if a bear attacked and I could only carry one to safety? What if I was boarding a train and some jerk-off made me leave one behind for certain death?

I almost think it would be better to risk both than chose one. But what do I know? These are not choices people are asked to make, at least not in Normal.

Now, what I really have to decide is this: If I'm forced to take one of my children grocery shopping with me, which one will it be? Not Sophie's Choice, but a real pickle nonetheless.

No comments: