Saturday, November 22, 2008

Kids say the darndest things

I think 4-year-old kids are hilarious. They're always coming up with some new way to look at the world. When Carolyn's pool friend Gabe found out she was heading to swim team, he told his grandma she was heading up there (finger pointing up, you know, toward heaven). When she asked what he meant, Gabe said Carolyn would be using the pool on the roof. Carolyn was moving up there. Get it... moving up!

Carolyn does this kind of thing all the time, but I thought this rather disturbing moment was particularly sweet. When I tucked her into bed the other night. She was angry because I downgraded her "choose two books" to "I'll choose ONE book for you" after much dilly-dallying and goofing off. Oh... She was mad.

So when I tucked her into bed, and said I love you, she said: "I love you and I hate you."

When I told Steve the next day, he told Carolyn, "That's not nice to say you hate someone." Frankly, I was just happy for a little love. I'm pretty sure when she's screaming "I hate you" at 13, it won't come with that kind of disclaimer.

No comments: