Thursday, September 06, 2012

A work in progress

Today is my least favorite day of all the school days. It's open house day at my kids' school. Usually, this sort of thing is exciting. Getting to meet the new teachers. Getting to hear about the fun things they're going to do this year. Sitting in tiny seats. 

But I always feel sort of overwhelmed on these days. We pick volunteer opportunites. Learn about the big dates like field trips and science project due dates. And I envision my semi-empty calendar filling with all sorts of stuff I'm likely to forget. Also, I had to shell out like $50 on a babysitter and pizza, which is not how I like to spend $50 on a Thursday night.

Both girls have very nice teachers. Penny has a teacher new to the school who seems very excited about teaching 1st graders. Carol has a 36-year veteran teacher who designs her room around whatever "theme" the class is working on. The first lesson is nature and, I kid you not, she has a life-sized tree in her classroom. Sorta makes you want to revisit the 3rd grade.  

My birthday weekend is OK. Weirdish weather. Here's Penny on Sunday, and again on Monday. Looks like she can have fun in any weather! It also looks like she has a preference for green.

No comments: