Thursday, May 18, 2006

From the "Horrible mother" file

“Am I making it hard for my girls to compete when they’re older?”

I wonder this today as I’m sitting on a bench in downtown Normal, eating ice cream with Carolyn and waiting for the Amtrak train to arrive, just so we can look at it for a minute. This is my life.

Since leaving work, I’ve really slowed it down quite a bit. Don’t get me wrong, I’m always busy cooking or cleaning or looking for freelance work. But I make it a point to get out twice each day, mostly just to wander around the neighborhood.

As Carolyn, Penny and I sat there eating ice cream, other housewife moms were scurrying in or out of the brand-new, multi-million dollar children’s museum. And all over town I hear moms saying, “Just a few minutes. We have to go here and there and then back over here.” They seem so much busier than I am.

Just today, Carolyn and I spent no less than five minutes watching a caterpillar cross the sidewalk. And I wonder, is all this dilly-dallying hurting my children’s social skills? Will they be able to multi-task? Will they be social misfits?

What's crazy is that I think I'm the one doing things right. But I wonder.

I wouldn’t be so worried, but I live a lonely existence. While all these other very busy moms rush in and out of organized playgroups, I find myself walking alone. A lot.

Side note. Today is Steve and my fifth anniversary. On this week’s “Scrubs,” one of the characters made a reference to those “relationship-killing baby years.” Oh yes. I know the ones.

Well, raise your glass everyone, here’s to those, and the ones that follow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris, it's Bob in the Creek. Screw anybody who would squelch the joy of mom and daughter watching in wonder at the caterpillar, or the train, or all the other stuff you'll share. You are giving your daughter something no one else will. You gotta keep it up.
Oh, and happy anniversary to you and Steve.

The Jacobs said...

You gotta love that you and the girls have the time to stop and smell the roses - literally. I think the times that are seem like they're in slow-motion are the best memories.
Not being rushed here and there, to this event and that museum, because that's what some moms feel like they have to do with their kids.
ENJOY!

Happy anniverary - Did Turk say that?