Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Weekend warriors, old school

Today, Carolyn took a big poop on her bathroom stool. Looking a little shocked, she came and got me to let me know what had happened.

Thing is, I was just happy she was in the bathroom. That’s a pretty good step.

My life, reduced to not being angry about a big pile of poop.

That’s why this weekend held an unexpected surprise. While the family and I were in Battle Creek to tend to the house, which if you’re interested is still for sale, we stayed with friends Todd and Karen, parents to 1-year-old Kayla. They not only made dinner, they invited some other adults. This informal party was just the sort of entertainment Steve and I crave -– there are kids around but they’re not the focus of the evening. There were drinks. There was adult conversation. There was the occasional hilarious kid moment.

We just expected to lay our heads down for the night at a friend’s house. We didn’t expect to have a super great time.

Unexpected moments. Life as a parent, in a nutshell.

No comments: