Friday, October 13, 2006

Day 43, and counting

Same story, another day. Still no computer, although Apple said they have 500 of this part coming Monday and only two, presumably one that is me, are holding for said part. Good news!

I've felt a real motivation lately to be a good parent. I met with the owner of the Gingerbread House, a fancy-shmancy toy store, about Christmas gifts for children. It was like going to a (insert occupation here) writing conference and getting all keyed up to go back and (insert craft here) write. Instead, it was about child rearing.

She talked a lot about independent play and open-ended toys that let kids use their imaginations. While I sipped coffee with her for TWO WHOLE HOURS, I did a mental inventory of Carolyn's toys. Pretty good, on the whole, I decided. But even the Little People, which I think are great toys that Carolyn pretends with often, are holding specific items, or wearing very specific clothes that make total creativity hard. Don't get me started on the songs and moving parts.

I even read an article this week, which came out the same day I met with the toy store owner, that said children are lacking free play these days. Too many dance classes and soccer games. I totally buy into that.

And enough of the soap box.

Today, Carolyn, Penny and I walked over to the close playground, which is at the Normal Community Center. They have a daycare there and the kids sometimes come out to play, which just so happened today.

It was 4-year-olds. Carolyn even knew one little girl, whose great-grandmother lives next door.

One little girl came up and asked me if my daughter could be in their class. I said she was still too young.

"She's only 2," I said.

"Well," the little girl answered, "maybe when she's 4."

"That's a good idea," I said. "But when she's 4, you'll be 6. Then you'll be in first grade."

"Maybe," the girl said. "But I was 3 for a really long time, so I might still be 4."

Those kids, they say the darndest things.

No comments: