Wednesday, October 25, 2006

My utility curse continues

You know it’s going to be a crappy day when the electric company, first thing in the morning, shuts off your power.

Should have paid your bill, one might say. Well, it was paid. It was cashed. I even called two weeks ago after receiving a “shut off” notice to find out why I was delinquent 10 days after they took the money from my checking account.

But they said the account information was incorrect, and our fault even though I called to fix the problem two weeks ago, and so we started off the day paying $75 to have the power turned back on.

In case you’re not keeping track, here’s my “LIST.”

#5 Mike Simpko (thanks Joe), a slum lord from Alexandria, Va., who stole more than $1,000 from us in 2001, something I’ve never quite gotten over. I hope I spelled his name right. It’s been a long time since I’ve had to write that $%$%$ a check.

#4 Semco Energy

#3 College students

#2 Sara Vowel

#1 AmerenIP (see above)

The girls and I headed over to the grocery and book stores to retreat from our hellish, angry morning. Once there, Carolyn, who had been doing so well, had an accident. I wiped up the seat, changed her in the bathroom and we resumed shopping. I was just shocked I had a spare pair of pants with me. Amazing!

Next, I gave her a book to read while I flipped through a couple of magazines. Turns out, the book had a bunch of stickers that Carolyn stuck all over the cart. I had to buy the crappy Dora book, at an outrageous $5.99. It would have been cheaper to buy the magazines.

Well, I have some angry letter writing to do. Better get started before I’m served with court papers or probed by aliens.

No comments: