Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Why? Let me tell ya

It's 6:08 a.m. and I'm sitting at the computer, vigilantly watching the weather radar waiting for the rain to subside so I can go running. I'd go in the rain, but radar promises clearer skies shortly.

In the past, I've been addicted to all sorts of really nasty things. Well, not "nasty" nasty, but let's just say I'm not the kind of gal that really abides by the rules of moderation.

So now I run. I've been running since April, when running was a bit of a misnomer, but I love it and I plan to run as long as my legs allow. That's because, like much of my life, there is no halfway mark for me. I don't just casually run a mile or two. I have a schedule and I like to keep it. I read Runner's World. I'm looking into carb gels for long runs.

This definitely has it's benefits. I just ran my own personal 15K last weekend, I'm planning on running a half marathon sometime next year and, this part is totally true, I'm smokin' hot. Well.... my jeans fit really good.

Speaking of Why (notice how I have not mentioned Why at all, but I need a transistion), I have my own Why Girl, Carolyn. She's been asking Why for more than a year now, and has not let up even the tiniest bit, much like this rain.

I don't mind most of the Whys, especially if I have an answer. "Why do we need to drive cars?" for instance gives me ample opportunity to tell Carolyn they are a convenient luxury item that propagated the largest national delirium of all time and that while we might "like" to drive cars, we certainly often don't "need" to drive them.

But sometimes she asks me things like, "Do I like cereal? Why?" I have no answer for this and tell her as much.

But yesterday, I got a good response to my own Why. "Why do you ask me Why so much?" I ask.

Carolyn says, "Because I want to know everything."

Well then, carry on...

5 comments:

Eric and Julie said...

Eric is really looking forward to the Why stage with Isaac. Does it really last at least a year??

Julia M. said...

Warning: if the "why" stage never ends, she may be destined to be **gasp** a graduate student!!!

And keep up with the running. I'm looking forward to the half-marathon (even if I don't run with you I plan to watch and scream things from the sidelines).

slmcanal said...

Just got caught up on your blog. I've not seen it for quite awhile. Sounds like your life is pretty darn interesting.... eventful... rewarding...

The Jacobs said...

Why is she so friggin smart? Because you answer all those "whys." Why? Because you want to know everything. Well, at least till she thinks she knows more than you!

And, how do I get started running? Just need a basic 20-30 minute routine to get me up and running.

The Jacobs said...

That should say "you want HER to know everything" -