Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Klutzy kid

I always thought Carolyn would be the first kid to break a bone. She's so daring and unafraid that I thought for sure she'd land me in the emergency room one day.

Well, I didn't take tripping into consideration. And not the groovy kind, but just your run-of-the-mill falling on the sidewalk. I guess I did the same thing when I was three, a precursor to my lifelong nickname (by my Aunt Sandy, anyway) of Klutzy Chrissy. I guess it does have a nice ring to it.

Anyway, that's exactly what Penny did a couple of days ago. Shortly afterward, and onto the next morning, she refused to walk. An all-day affair at two doctors told us that she had broken her tibia (leg bone), that the break was minute and that she was not in any kind of pain, evident by her sunny disposition.

And it's really been sort of easy, as broken bones go. Penny, who has been sick or injured often this year, knows exactly how to ask for something. "Take me downstairs. Take me to the bathroom. Pick me up." are all phrases which Penny is quite able, and willing to use. In anything, she's more easy going when she's sick or hurt then when she's feeling great.

As for my vision of Carolyn's injury, it would have been much harder going. For one, she plays more like boys play then Penny, so the break would likely have been worse. Just ask a mom with boys. Also, she would not be content hanging around the house, waiting for her leg to heal. That would have drove her bonkers.

The only down side (other than having a child who can't walk) is that we have canceled an upcoming trip to Michigan. It's really been a month of broken for our little household. The car. The pipes. The tree. The electrical system. The sump pump. My voice. I don't think it would be wise to take Penny to the farm where getting around would be very difficult for her. But I'm also a little weary of future breaks on a very long car ride into possible ice and snow.

I think we should just be thankful nothing's broken badly and hope that's the case in the coming days. Fingers crossed!

2 comments:

The Jacobs said...

Oh my, what a strong, resilient little girl. Not even fussing when she breaks her leg. I wish her, and you all, a speedy recovery and a healthy, happy New Year with no more bad breaks.

Unknown said...

I think that it was a good idea not coming here as an ice storm is on the horizon. Sat night into Sunday morning. Things happen for a reason, or so they say.