Wednesday, April 01, 2009

When did sugar become a good thing?

Don't get me wrong. I'm a fan of sugar. And butter. And oil. And meat.

But it doesn't mean those things are actually good for us. Sugar's probably the worst of the lot because of its complete lack of nutritional value. It was to be avoided at all costs for many, many years.

Steve and I were watching TV last night and Snapple was advertising its new tea, "with sugar." Like sugar some magical new health food. Sure it's better than high fructose corn syrup, which is in virtually everything processed because it's such a cheap product, but sugar still rots teeth and makes you fat.

Steve had it right. "Who would have thought they would invent something that makes sugar look good."

By the way, I'm totally an old person magnet. When all the other moms are chatting at library story time, I'm jawing away to the grandma who lives across the street. I am always talking to the oldest caregiver in the room. This is not to say I'm super mature or anything, I've known plenty of immature old people, but I think it does say something about my character, or my reluctance to dye to my hair.

I also think it explains my love for crossword puzzles and "Antiques Roadshow."

No comments: