Thursday, March 23, 2006

Friendship

It's a funny thing about friends – sometimes it just seems an unlikely pairing. Like wine and pizza. But as all MY friends know, wine goes with everything, so I guess that's a bad example.

My dear friend Courtney got me thinking about friendships. I remember the very first time I met her, I told all my co-workers (which were, of course, guys) that she was going to be a great friend of mine. They all laughed that crazy, female notion off. How could I possibly know that?

Well, dudes, it was true. Even as our path diverge and we find ourselves in very different lives, probably with very different priorities, we go on sending out witty e-mails to each other as if we just had coffee this morning.

Now, I find myself friendless in this new city and I wonder about those women whose opinion I value. Is it possible for me to find friendship in a club with playgroups and cooking clubs. Isn't there some chemistry, not unlike that found in love, that decides who we will befriend.

Or is it, not unlike love, a situation in which two people are looking for the same things at the same times in their lives? Paths crossing and all that.

Who knows. I only know these two things.

Number one. I have friends from my past whose lives are so different from my own I can't imagine what it's like for them. I admire them and envy them. But at the end of the day, I think I've got it pretty good.

And two. There is no way my only adult conversation is going to revolve around telemarketers and the creepy guy on the way to the park. These friendship clubs exist for a reason, right? We'll just have to see how it goes.

No comments: