Thursday, March 30, 2006

Slowly but surely

I'm making definite movement into the land of adults. Why just today I finished my cover letter for freelancing at the Pantagraph, I set up times to get involved with the local Newcomers group and I had a weird experience at the park.

No creepy guys involved.

At the gym, I've been chatting with one of the childcare workers. I'll call her Elizabeth, because I'm pretty sure that's her name. She also has two daughters - 3 and 7 months.

And she's really nice. Elizabeth is the only adult I talk to on a regular basis, regular being for five minutes while I get Penny in her carseat.

So I'm at the park and there she is. We talk for about an hour. Finally, someone I connect with and she lives a half mile from my house.

Elizabeth is not exactly my mirror image. She's a proud SAHM with a dedication to her craft. She's super nice (a woman was leaving the playground and Elizabeth told everybody how nice the woman seemed. Not a catty bone in her body). I think she might be religious. She seems really outgoing and confident.

See what I mean?

I hope when she finds out how cynical, offbeat, awkward and mean I can be, she still wants to be friends. After all, 2-year-olds don't drink coffee, so we housewives sometimes take what we can get.

No comments: