Friday, March 02, 2007

I've seen the demons of my future — and they're adorable

March 1, 2007.

It marks the day of our first American Girl catalog. For anybody who doesn't know, and I refuse to provide a link, it's a very expensive doll line. It's not an awful doll. It promotes reading and teaches about American history, but she also has very expensive duds (with outfits to match for the little girls) and accessories.

Here's what I see. Carolyn or Penelope six years from now. They love these dolls. All their friends have them. It's what the rich girls have.

And they'll never have enough. Never. They're never going to have as much as some girls, and while there's a good lesson there, it's a doll. Wouldn't it be better to try and have the most knowledge of zoo animals, or music, or just about anything else.

So I wrote the company this morning and asked to no longer receive the catalog. I'm under no illusion that at least one of the girls will "have" to have this doll (that's what saving accounts are for), but it's my prerogative to delay it as long as possible.

No comments: