Saturday, April 29, 2006

From the cheap and easy file

Making your own baby food is super easy and super cheap.

Take my weekend project. I went to Meijer, where avocados were a mere dime each, and bought plentiful supplies of freezable (please comment if you know how to freeze an avocado product) veggies.

For 60 cents, I purchased enough green beans to feed Penny for a week. After steaming and blending them, I filled ice cube trays with tiny single serving size portions.

Presto. Finished for the week.

And bonus — these little servings cost about 60 cents each when you buy the jarred variety. That's what I did for Carolyn and I don't think they're any less nutritious, just more expensive. When you work, you can afford life's little luxuries.

Now all I need to do is jar my food, put little snapshots of Penny on the front, and I'll make a killing. Gerber's got nothing, nothing, on my baby.

1 comment:

The Jacobs said...

OK - this is so what I was going to ask you to write about for the next On the Grow (parenting magazine). BTW - the first issue comes out May 11. I should have some copies to show you when you come in town.