Thursday, June 28, 2007

Beets and broccoli

I'm only slightly bragging when I say Carolyn would rather eat broccoli than chicken nuggets. If she gives up all meat by the time she's 12, I wouldn't be at all surprised. But my dreams of a veggie lover were crushed tonight as I was making roasted beets and beet-green pasta.

I was skinning the beets, which I think are the most beautiful, most exotic, most delicious vegetables in any garden. There's something about the deep, velvety color mixed with such sweetness.

Anyhow, I was cutting them when I gave Carolyn a little piece. She literally made herself gag so she wouldn't have to swallow it.

"Yuck," she said. "That's really gross."

Oh Carolyn. Poor, misled Carolyn. I blame Steve, who said beets remind him of communism. They stain everything they touch. And they're used in a lot of Russian dishes. Or something like that.

No comments: