Thursday, January 15, 2009

-14: Feels like -36

I don't want to be one of those Midwesterners who only talks about the weather, but here's the thing. I really don't have anything to talk about. It's 14 degrees below zero. It's 10:30 in the morning. It's super sunny outside.

And we're trapped — again. Thankfully, the cable (which, in our house, includes the television, Internet AND phone) started working again or I might have started drinking early today, even by my standards.

Everything is canceled again today. School. Activities. Even the university said, "Brrrr... Don't bother walking to class today, bundled up college kids. Just go ahead and walk to the bar/liquor store/booty call's house instead." You might notice a theme in my winter-related blogs that includes lots of alcohol. This is not a new theme.

Anyway, Steve gave me a nice lesson on the Central Illinois weather this morning. He said today is, on average, the coldest day of the year. This area only has about four days that average below freezing. That's pretty rockin'. And after a series of later and later mornings, followed by stagnation, the morning light starts to pick up so drastically that it will be sunny by 6 a.m. in just about a month.

What does all this mean? It's hump day, for winter. Shots anybody?

While the rising of the sun is not uniquely Normal, the warmer weather actually is new. In Michigan, our former home, it continutes to get colder for a while longer. Sorry mom.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry, SORRY, SORRY. MY PLAN TODAY IS TO GET 200 THOUSAND ON PAC MAN

slmcanal said...

I don't really feel bad about the unseasonably warm weather we're having here. I'm actually thanking my lucky stars for it.

Christine said...

I'll make sure to talk about our lovely summer when it's so hot in Vegas, your tires blow out. Don't roll your eyes. That actually happened to a friend of mine in Phoenix.