Sunday, January 18, 2009

Awesomeness

I can't help but feel a little bit like a rockstar when I go exercising in 17 degree weather. Since I'm running at roughly 20 minutes per mile, look a little bit like an old lady and am grunting, I'm pretty sure this rockstar status is all in my head.

Still, there is something to be said about spending winter outside. For instance, running in snow and against 30 degree winds makes me really happy I didn't spend $75 a month on a gym because my ass muscles are getting a seriously great workout. Also, I love passing other runners in the winter. There's a lot of smiling and waving, as if to say, "Yeah. You're awesome too. People inside are stupid." And I love being really, really hot and sweaty when it's 17 degrees. It's so cool.

Well, it's Sunday. Church class day. Playoff day. Allowance day.

That's right. It's allowance day. Carolyn has really started helping out around the house, cleaning her room, sorting laundry, letting Fife in and out, in and out, in and out of the house. I talked to other moms who do allowance, and by the time a kid is about 6, chores start to become chores, so I thought it might be good to start her now.

For her first allowance, she wanted a candy bar. We walked over to the nearby gas station and she picked a chocolate bar. It's came to $1.10. Hello... I give her $1, with the hopes that if she wants to blow it on candy, that would kind of cover it... Ummm. No. When did candy bars start costing more than $1?

But she's up to $2 now. She expressed interest in buying some bathtub crayons today, which she said she wants to share with Penny. I'm thinking I'll toss in the cost to cover the purchase, just because Carolyn is so darn sweet.

Not at all like her sister. I'll get into that later.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, when did candy bars start to cost so much. I remember when they were........oh yeah, I already told you that one.

Julia M. said...

Bathtub crayons sound really fun. Is it inappropriate for adults to use them too? :)

Christine said...

Sounds to me like somebody needs a babysitting fix. Say, three days while Steve and I leave for Chicago! I've been keeping an eye on tickets. Prices are really reasonable through March. I hope they hold into summer.

slmcanal said...

yeah, bathtub crayons? I'm totally intrigued...