Monday, January 05, 2009

Stop hitting yourself

Carolyn has learned about blame. Specifically, she's learned to stop taking it.

The other day while we were driving, both girls had bags of crayons in the car. Penny's bag also had the much-coveted green highlighter. Penny set the bag down to do something, and Carolyn swiftly snatched up the highlighter.

Penny, quite rightly, was like (and I'm paraphrasing), "Hey there, thief. What's up." And Carolyn said (not paraphrasing), "Penny shouldn't have put her bag so close to me."

This came on the heels of another episode involving two block towers. The girls were quietly building said towers in the downstairs playroom when the screaming started. Steve went downstairs to find Penny's tower in shambles.

"Penny shouldn't have let me play with her tower," Carolyn said.

Oh yeah. Not, "I shouldn't have gone all Godzilla on your tower" or "I should have avoided crashing into it at top speed." While this is likely true, maybe Penny has a different side to this.

"I shouldn't have let Carolyn play with my tower." Hmmm. Maybe not.

1 comment:

Such! said...

She seems like a trans-Atlantic version of my younger self :)